Illinois College Press Association competition

Ashley Henry, Editor-in-Chief
February 26, 2014
Filed under Archives, News, Top Stories

The Journal brought home 13 awards this past weekend from the 31st annual Illinois College Press Association competition in Chicago. The Journal placed in categories across the board for writing, photography, cartoons, advertisements and design. Illustrator Alex Johnson’s piece titled “Waste,”... Read More »

Prairie Stars remain

Prairie Stars remain

Ashley Henry, Editor-in-Chief
February 4, 2014
Filed under Archives, News, Top Stories

UIS’ athletic teams will remain the Prairie Stars according to Chancellor Susan Koch in her release to the UIS community Jan. 28. In the release Koch said, in part, “I’m confident that our campus marketing team and UIS Athletics will develop new and creative opportunities that will... Read More »

Career fair preview

Megan O'Dell and Ashley Henry
February 4, 2014
Filed under Archives, Features

The annual Springfield Collegiate Career Fair is just around the corner, offering students and community members alike a valuable networking opportunity to connect with employers and learn about job openings and volunteer opportunities. Elaine Thomas, employer development and informatics... Read More »

Online Portfolios: Keep you competitive

Megan O'Dell and Ashley Henry
February 4, 2014
Filed under Archives, Features

Portfolios are no longer just for writers and artists. With the push to stay up to date and remain competitive in today’s job market, creating an online portfolio can serve as a way to turn your resume into a tool that will gain an interview and a career. Career Development... Read More »

UIS mascot remains

UIS mascot remains

Ashley Henry, Editor-in-Chief
January 29, 2014
Filed under Archives, News, Top Stories

The Prairie Stars are here to stay, according to an email from Chancellor Susan Koch released Tuesday. In the email Koch wrote, in part, “The name Prairie Stars is more than an athletics team name.  It is also an important part of campus identity at this relatively young university. It is a name... Read More »

Deer invades UIS townhouse

Deer invades UIS townhouse

Ashley Henry, Editor-in-Chief
January 29, 2014
Filed under Archives, News, Top Stories

Student Dane Vincent had an unexpected visitor when a deer entered his Clover Court townhouse through the kitchen window, early last Wednesday morning. “Around 3:30 a.m. I was awoken to the sound of breaking glass. I waited in bed for a few minutes longer to make sure that something was actually... Read More »

Beatles invade Springfield: Beatle sister brings Liverpool Legends to the stage

Ashley Henry, Editor-in-Chief
September 18, 2013
Filed under Archives, Features

Nearly 50 years ago, the Beatles released their debut... Read More »

Police Beat

Ashley Henry, Editor-in-Chief
September 12, 2013
Filed under Archives, News

UIS Police Department reported the following calls for the period of Aug. 25, 2013 to Sept. 7, 2013. Traffic Stops (20) – Police issued 5 citations and 15 warnings. Motorist Assists (25) Burglary Alarm Responses (0) Code Blue Responses (0) Credit Union Alarm Responses (0) Fire Alarm... Read More »

Chancellor Koch opens academic year at convocation

Ashley Henry, Editor-in-Chief
August 28, 2013
Filed under Archives, News

... Read More »

Police Beat

Ashley Henry, Editor-in-Chief
August 26, 2013
Filed under News

UIS Police Department reported the following calls for the period of Aug. 11, 2013 to Aug. 24, 2013. Traffic  Stops (9) – Police issued 7 citations and 12 warnings. Motorist Assists (13) Code Blue Responses (2) Fire Alarm Responses (3) Other Alarm Responses (1) Parking Tickets (5) Agency... Read More »

‘Make sure when the curtain comes down, that you’re exhausted’

Ashley Henry, Assistant Editor for Features
May 15, 2013
Filed under Archives, Features

Kathy Best humorously indulged herself, as she pulled out her iPhone before her commencement... Read More »

UIS conducts trash audit on Earth Day

April 30, 2013
Filed under Features

Despite several attempts to meet goals of increasing recycling initiatives and reducing waste on campus, UIS still has a ways to go before it can do so. In conjunction with Earth Day 2013, political advocacy group Students Allied for a Greener Earth (S.A.G.E.), in cooperation with the Campus Senate... Read More »

Office 365 may make group projects a little more bearable

April 23, 2013
Filed under Features

We’ve all been there - forced into a group project with a handful of people we don’t particularly care for nor have any thing in common with. There is the go getter, the slacker, and the floater – all which make for an unruly mix. Similar scenarios are colorfully portrayed in humorous and arguably... Read More »

Mimosa: A Thai, Vietnamese and Japanese restaurant with mixed reviews

April 16, 2013
Filed under Features

I’m always a bit of a skeptic when it comes to new food and new restaurants. So, when a friend invited me to lunch last week to Mimosa – I was a little less than thrilled after hearing mixed reviews. Before leaving for lunch that day, I went online and located their website (mimosa217.com), hoping... Read More »

Police Beat

April 15, 2013
Filed under News

University of Illinois Springfield Police Department reported the following calls for the period of April 7, 2013 to April 13, 2013. Traffic Stops (7) – Police issued 5 citations and 5 warnings Motorist Assists (13) Burglary Alarm Responses (0) Code Blue... Read More »

UIS Wellness Fair serves needs of community

April 10, 2013
Filed under News

In conjunction with national Public Health Week, UIS Campus Health Services and Rec Sports, partnered with Springfield Health Check, hosted their annual Wellness Day at TRAC on April 3. The event featured over 40 providers and businesses from the Springfield area, offering screenings and assessments... Read More »

Illinois Innocence Project frees another innocent man: Anthony Murray shares his story with UIS community

April 2, 2013
Filed under News

“We find the defendant, guilty.” This is the verdict far too many innocent men and women face each year within the U.S. court system, according to the Illinois Innocence Project, housed at UIS. This verdict is far too true for Anthony Murray; a man convicted of first-degree murder in 1998 in Marion... Read More »

UIS Mobile App A useful campus resource

UIS Mobile App A useful campus resource

March 27, 2013
Filed under Features

To better suit the needs of students on the go, UIS Web Services launched the UIS Mobile App. Earlier this year, Web Services collaborated with the Office of Records and Registration to offer a better extent of services offered by the app. Through the UIS Mobile App, users can access the UIS A-Z Index,... Read More »

Idolization of the 5 foot 11 inch, 117-pound woman: Perfected, altered images in magazines lead to low self-esteem and anxiety in women

March 5, 2013
Filed under Features

From the magazines we read to the photographs we flip through and post, images are doctored, tweaked, photoshopped and enhanced to the nines. However, at some point there becomes an extreme, and it seems as though American society has reached it. This gives an entirely different meaning to the expression,... Read More »

Global Brigades to help Hurricane Sandy relief

February 26, 2013
Filed under News

This May, UIS’ student organization, Global Brigades, will embark on a week long trip to New York to assist with Hurricane Sandy relief efforts. During the trip, the group will visit Long Island and Manhattan; two areas hit the hardest from the storm. Hurricane Sandy, a category three storm, peaked... Read More »

Serving those who serve the nation: Mobile Vet Center visits UIS

February 20, 2013
Filed under News

According to the United States Census Bureau there are 16,074 military veterans in Sangamon County alone and nearly 770,388 in the state of Illinois, several of which call UIS home.  In order to accommodate those who served and continue to serve, the UIS Veteran Affairs office coordinated a Mobile Vet... Read More »

Volunteer and Civic Engagement Center: Helping those in need

Ashley Henry, Assistant Editor of Features
February 12, 2013
Filed under News

In the recent months, countless individuals have banned together to aid and volunteer with causes ranging anywhere from violence in the community to natural disasters. To no surprise, the UIS Volunteer and Civic Engagement Center (VCEC) and local non-profit organizations have teamed up to complete similar... Read More »

‘Guns and Butter’ questions the ordinary

February 5, 2013
Filed under Features

What is considered ordinary anymore? Better yet, how do we even begin to define ordinary in today’s world? These are just a few of the questions the Industry of the Ordinary hope to provoke and challenge throughout their work. The duo proposed that the featured piece, “Guns and Butter,” in the... Read More »

Student Affairs launches new website, UIS Connection

January 29, 2013
Filed under Features

At the beginning of the 2013 spring semester, Student Affairs launched a student-focused website, UIS Connection. The launch was part of UIS’s larger re-branding effort, Leadership Lived.  “Where students are first, and leadership is lived.” The new website was proposed after numerous attempts... Read More »

Sustainability in a clamshell: Food Services reintroduces ‘green’ program

January 29, 2013
Filed under Features

Much like the new physical appearance of UIS’s Food Emporium, Food Services welcomes a few new changes as well. In an effort to promote a “green initiative” on campus, UIS Food Services reintroduced their reusable clamshell program just in time for the spring semester. “We are a part of Student... Read More »

Changes on TRAC by student request

Ashley Henry, News Reporter
December 4, 2012
Filed under Features

It has been a semester full of changes for the Recreation and Athletic Center (TRAC), and starting with new classes and the recently opened juice bar. The most recent change comes in the form of extra time. The Department of Recreational Sports implemented new and longer operating hours in its TRAC... Read More »

Supporting the community this holiday season

Ashley Henry, News Reporter
November 13, 2012
Filed under News

For many, the holiday season welcomes feasts surrounded by friends, family and loved ones. For others, it is a struggle to put food on the table. In Sangamon County alone, nearly one in eight individuals are food insecure, according to the state foodbank association, Feeding Illinois. From that number,... Read More »

New fees, senators for Student Government Association

Ashley Henry, News Reporter
November 7, 2012
Filed under News

The interest in the Board of Trustees meeting taking place at UIS and increasing fees are just two of the issues discussed by the Student Government Association (SGA) at their latest meeting. At the meeting, former SGA Transfer Student Senator, Zachary Sullivan, addressed the board with the proposal... Read More »

Pumpkin season

Pumpkin season

Ashley Henry, News Reporter
October 30, 2012
Filed under Features

From the first hint of fall and throughout the holiday season, there is an abundance of everything pumpkin and with good reason. These squash-like gourds fill markets and food vendors alike, attracting the young, and the young at heart. From sweet indulgences to savory seeds, there is something pumpkin... Read More »

SGA, Treadwell discuss fee increases and funds for library

Ashley Henry, News Reporter
October 23, 2012
Filed under News

SGA meet to discuss committee updates and fee increases. Jane Treadwell, Associate Professor, University Librarian and Dean of the UIS library, joined the SGA to discuss fee increases for Library Technology as well. Students are hit hard these days with tuition and fees, Treadwell said, adding, “I... Read More »

Barbie for President, promoting female leaders and voters

Ashley Henry, News Reporter
October 16, 2012
Filed under Features

“If you can dream it, you can be it! You can ‘B’ president.” This is the message of the Barbie for President in partnership with the White House Project, campaigns. The UIS Women’s Center and the Women’s Issues Caucus Club hosted an event celebrating and promoting this message. The... Read More »

Get to know SGA members, their plans for UIS and students

Ashley Henry, News Reporter
October 9, 2012
Filed under News

Returning 2012 Student Government Association (SGA) members, Ryan Bouray, Aaron Mulvey, and John Tienken discussed plans and goals for the upcoming 2012-13 academic year. President Ryan Bouray is a senior at UIS majoring in accounting, with a minor in economics. As SGA president, Bouray’s role is... Read More »

Working for change, political activist Tom Hayden addressed the UIS community and public alike

Ashley Henry, News Reporter
October 2, 2012
Filed under News

Tom Hayden is co-founder of Students for A Democratic Society, and was one of the “Chicago Eight” charged with conspiring to provoke a riot during the 1968 Democratic National Convention. During this time he wrote a proposal titled “The Port Huron Statement – An Agenda for a Generation.” He... Read More »

Student Union developments and plans for the semester, topics for SGA

Ashley Henry, News Reporter
September 26, 2012
Filed under News

The UIS Student Government Association (SGA) welcomed the newly elected SGA senators, as well as special visitors, Chancellor Susan J. Koch and Disability Services Director, Dr. Sarah Colby Weaver, Ph.D., at their meeting Sunday. Chancellor Koch began her visit by addressing a new development in the... Read More »

Nationwide drought impacts local farmers, crops

Ashley Henry, News Reporter
September 18, 2012
Filed under News

The recent storms from Hurricane Isaac proved to be too late in the season to make up for the lack of rainfall plaguing the Midwest, and the nation. Food supplies suffer both locally and nationally due to the drought. The National Integrated Drought Information System (NIDIS) released reports Sept.... Read More »

SGA discusses student elections and other upcoming events

Ashley Henry, News Reporter
September 11, 2012
Filed under News

The focus of the first Student Government Association meeting was the fall 2012 SGA election. Recently elected Student Body President Ryan Bouray called this meeting to order. Director of Student Life Cynthia Thompson reported that there are currently 18 applications filed for this year’s election,... Read More »