The Franco fiasco: A question of age

Carolyn Miller, Columnist
April 16, 2014
Filed under Archives, Opinion

As much as we want to view our celebrity idols as responsible, mature and noble because we think they are, they usually do something to dim the brilliant light we see them in. James Franco is considered to be one of the more respected Hollywood actors. He has hosted award shows, owns a production company,... Read More »

No comfort in college dining

Carolyn Miller, Columnist
April 9, 2014
Filed under Archives, Opinion

College is no easy feat. But perhaps one of the hardest parts is adjusting to food that your momma didn’t cook. After a few weeks you will miss your dad’s BBQ ribs and your grandma’s famous fresh-baked cookies. In my case, I missed Saturday morning donuts from the bakery and the many casseroles... Read More »

The Blackboard blunder

Carolyn Miller, Columnist
April 2, 2014
Filed under Archives, Opinion

As students of the 21st century we are privileged to learn with such advanced and beneficial technology. Without a doubt, we are utilizing way more technology than our parents ever did. We now have the ability to learn, test and receive grades faster than ever before. However, this does not mean everyone... Read More »

I’m with the BAND

I’m with the BAND

Carolyn Miller
March 14, 2014
Filed under Archives, Features, Top Stories

I grew up around a lot of noise. As far back as I can remember, there has always been an instrument playing or music blasting in the background. We didn’t live above a record store. We didn’t run a venue. No – my dad was in the band. Everyone always thought it was cool that my dad was in a... Read More »

Student deaths at Illinois universities

Carolyn Miller, Columnist
February 26, 2014
Filed under Archives, Opinion

For many students, college is their first experience living away from home. It’s exciting, challenging, refreshing and freeing, yet it can also be scary and dangerous. Thus far in 2014, there have been numerous college-student deaths in Illinois. Illinois State University, Southern Illinois University-Carbondale... Read More »

The tilted hiring process: It’s nothing to hoot about

Carolyn Miller, Columnist
February 19, 2014
Filed under Archives, Opinion

Through the years, our nation has overcome... Read More »

Mass media lack diversity

Carolyn Miller, Columnist
February 4, 2014
Filed under Archives, Opinion

Every woman wants to feel beautiful in her own skin. Recently, Dove launched a campaign to promote confidence in women; however, one crucial aspect was missing – diversity. Diversity is an issue that still plagues media across the board; however, I believe there is some hope for women of the... Read More »

Our fascination with the famous

Carolyn Miller, Columnist
January 29, 2014
Filed under Archives, Opinion

For decades, American culture has centered itself around nearly every aspect of celebrities and their lifestyles. Almost every magazine features a celebrity on the cover or within its pages. TV shows and even entire channels are dedicated to the Hollywood stars, but why? Isn’t Angelina Jolie just like... Read More »

Changing Catholicism

Carolyn Miller, Columnist
December 11, 2013
Filed under Archives, Opinion

As same-sex marriage is welcomed in Illinois, the joyous celebration has also caused turmoil. Springfield bishop, Thomas Paprocki, was ready to combat the signing of the same-sex marriage bill. He announced that he would be holding an exorcism during the same time Governor Pat Quinn signed the bill. Reportedly... Read More »

Waging war on welfare

Carolyn Miller, Columnist
November 13, 2013
Filed under Archives, Opinion

Welfare is not a favorable word. Many people view the word with distaste and discomfort. Public aid is not something you want to be associated with because of its underlying meaning. If you are on welfare, you have failed and are unable to take care of yourself and your family. I reject this unsavory... Read More »